If you think Matthias Sammer isn’t important to Bayern, you’re either a daft monkey or Jürgen Klopp, which is sort of the same thing lbr now.
Matthias Sammer has single-handedly kept this club on its feet in the past two years at times. In season 2012/13 he used to be more a motivator than Jupp sometimes, but let’s put this in perspective:
- He was the one who dragged all of the players’ to the ground when they got over their heads with wins and started to play as if they’ve won shit, he was and still is the first person that will publicly call them out on their shit and make them work twice as hard next time.
- He was the one who initiated the Mandzukic, Martinez as well as Götze moves. He was the one who felt we were lacking in defensive midfield, per the Bastian injury in 2011 that got Bayern to go down in shits bc we didn’t have a proper holder. He was the one who felt we needed a strong striker as a backup after Gomez, and thank god he did bc who knows where we would’ve been without Mandzukic last season. He was the one (along with our board) to turn over Pep’s mind over getting Neymar bc he was very inexperienced in Europe, much less Germany, and found a more suitable replacement.
- He was the one that has always spoken in favor of the club and has always made sure nothing was left unsaid or nothing was left the way it is. He has been extremely (sassily) professional to everyone that has thrown over comments, pointed fingers, made ridiculous accusations against our players, club, board, etc. He has stood up for the club more than our president sometimes.
- He’s the one that’s initiating Bayern’s youth training centre as well as players, he’s working closely with ten Haag (the manager of FC Bayern II aka the fetuses) to help with the players, scout for talent, been helping with designing as well as training some of them, he believes the core of the club should always be youth clubs.
- Let’s not forget, he’s our sports director first and foremost. Every signing that has come has gone through him. And lbr, what signing apart from Kirchoff hasn’t worked out for us in the past two years? Every player that Bayern have opted for (and like I said, he suggested Mandzukic, Martinez and Götze, all incredibly vital players for us) has gone through him and these have been: Mandzukic, Martinez, Dante, Shaqiri, Götze, Kirchoff, Lewandowski (he’s been our target since 2012, let’s not forget)
So next time Klopp, Watzke, co and the rest of the world that believes this man hasn’t been a vital part of our success, think before you speak.